If you have a Kindle or an ereader, and you are wondering if you can get books through the library, the answer is YES!
The Lancaster Library System offers a program called Overdrive. Using Overdrive you can download Ebooks (and eaudio if you’re interested) to your eReaders and mobile devices.
Click HERE to visit the Overdrive website.
You MUST have a Lancaster Library card to access our collection!
Things you should know before checking out Ebooks:
- If you’re using a Kindle you can only download KINDLE files. EPUB and Adobe PDF files WILL NOT transfer to a Kindle.
- There are limited copies of each item. If the Ebook you want to borrow is not available, you can be put on a waiting list. When it’s your turn, you will be notified via e-mail.
- If you’re downloading ebooks to a device other than a Kindle, you need to download Adobe Editions to transfer the books from your computer.
- There is an OverDrive app available for mobile devices.
If you want to see what eBooks are offered click on the “View all eBooks” on the left-hand side under “Collections”.
If you would want to view what items are available TODAY, check off “Only show titles with copies available” under the search bar, before clicking search.
There are walkthroughs on how to download items to your device under the “Help” menu on the website.
Job hunting in a tough economy can be difficult. I want to point out a few things that maybe helpful in a job search.
First of all, the Library has a job hunting LibGuide: http://ephratapubliclibrary.libguides.com/jobs. There are videos, databases, links, and suggestions on job hunting.
Finding Job Opportunities:
Here are a few basic tips to help you find your next job:
1) There is no place to find all employment opportunities. There just isn’t. I think indeed.com is about the best. It compiles from several other sites. Also consider the big ones monster.com and careerbuilder.com. The problem with large national job websites is that they can have a lot of spam and the jobs are nationwide, not closer to home.
2) Don’t overlook the local papers. Most have websites that list there want ads. Those are local.
3) Some companies only post jobs on their websites. Find out where your larger employers are and check there.
4) Don’t overlook trade or professional associations, particularly at a state level! They often have very good job boards association
Applying for a Job:
There are Databases: Learn-A-Test, Tutor.com, and Universal Class all have job hunting resources. Business databases like ProQuest and ReferenceUSA can be used to do company research.
Of course we also have books and computer classes and tutoring that can also be helpful. If any of these resources seem interesting to you or you would like a tutorial, please contact me at the Library or feel free to email me (email@example.com).
Keith L Greenawalt, Public Services Manager
The Library offers two services that allow you to download eAudio books to your mobile devices.
Overdrive offers both eBooks and eAudiobooks and is available through all Lancaster Libraries.
OneClickDigital which is offered through Ephrata Public Library.
Both of these services are free, and all you need is a Lancaster Library card to access them!
Each service has it’s own “Media Manager” that you need to download. There are walkthroughs under the Help menu on each website to explain how to do this. The media managers take care of transferring the eAudiobooks to your mobile device. You can also listen to eAudiobooks right on your computer!
Both services offer different titles, but OneClickDigital has no waiting lists for the items you want to check out.
To access these services:
Make sure to check the lists of supported devices on each website to make sure your device is able to play the files! After you have the media manager downloaded you can select the title you want. It will download into the media manager, and you can either listen to it right on your computer or transfer it to your device.
Both companies offer an App to download eAudiobooks straight to your mobile devices. Make sure to check if your device supports the App!
Google offers a variety of different services that you can gain access to by signing up for a Google account. All of these services are given to you for FREE.
To sign up for a google account go here:
After you get an account you’ll have access to some of our favorite Google products including:
- Google Calendar
- Google Maps
- Google Docs
- Google Reader
Having a google account can help you get all your information in one place. Once you personalize these services you can access them anywhere you have internet. You also have the option of sharing things like your calendar, or documents with other people. This is great if you collaborate on projects!
To see a complete list of all the services Google offers click here.
We’ll be posting about these products and how we use them in the near future.
In the meantime, sign up for a Google account and start taking advantage of all the great free services!