As you may or may not be aware, the Library System of Lancaster County has controversially elected to shutter its business program in order to redirect those funds to other areas of need (Do note that the Duke Street Business Center, a unit of the Lancaster Public Library, is not closing). In terms of online resources, all of the business database subscriptions that are funded by the Library System will not be renewed unless another funding source can be found. Access to those databases will cease in the next few months, at different times depending on the specific databases. Some subscriptions have already expired.
While the cancellation of the databases represents a very large loss, the Ephrata Public Library and the other member libraries that compose the Library System still have resources available to assist businesses:
1) First and foremost, we have trained librarians to help you with your information needs!
2) We still have our print and audiobook collections with materials on all aspects of starting and running a business.
3) The Ephrata Public Library still provides access to some online tools that have business applications
–Universal Class has online courses to increase your opportunities for lifelong learning.
–Mango Languages is an online language learning tool to help you master a foreign tongue!
–Zinio provides access to digital magazines on your computer or mobile device, including some business publications like Bloomberg Businessweek, Forbes, and Kiplinger’s Personal Finance.
5) We have electronic resources available through POWER Library, including Business Source Main Edition, which has general interest and business publications, including some company profiles.
6) We also have full-text access to the Lancaster Newspapers, dating as far back as the middle 1990s, through a ProQuest database.
7) Lastly, we have access to downloadable e-books and e-audiobooks through Overdrive. There are currently 64 ebooks and 55 audiobooks in the “Business and Careers” category.
As you can see, Lancaster County public libraries still have a lot to offer!
If you have any questions regarding these resources, feel free to look me up at the library!
Keith L Greenawalt, Public Services Manager/Reference Librarian
(717) 738-9291 ex 102 or email@example.com